You must deal with discomfort in order to win big in life. Being able to leverage that unease feeling we feel in our stomachs is critical if your goal is to achieve something of significance in this life. You must experience discomfort. I mean, literally.
These are some examples of discomfort that often leads to big victory.
- Pumping iron religiously in order to gain muscle mass
- Studying long hours in order to ace the test
- Programming overnight in order to finish a game prototype
- Initiating anything worthwhile in life and not giving up
- Taking a stance on a position and sticking to it
These are some examples of comfort that often leads to loss.
- Pumping iron in order to gain muscle mass today but quitting tomorrow because of body pains.
- Studying long hours in order to ace the test but compromising on focus.
- Programming overnight in order to finish a game prototype but giving up at 4:42am.
- Initiating anything worthwhile in life and giving up when challenges arise
- Taking a stance on a position and failing to stick to it
There is no way out. Either you go through the motions of experiencing discomfort or you will never experience a big win. Tiger Woods hits golf balls for hours on end in order to win the Masters; Edison failed over one thousand times before inventing the light bulb. Arnold schwarzenegger didn’t become Mr. Olympia seven times by avoiding the uncomfortable.
My advise is this — Put your smartphone away and start working hard unless the discomfort your need to experience to win big involves using your smartphone. You have the chance to be like anybody else and don’t win anything big in life or experience the uncomfortable and win big.
What is your choice? Choose wisely.