They are different.
Leadership has the following characteristics:
- Leadership questions the status quo
- Leadership is about creating the system
- Leadership is about making change
- Leadership is influence, as Maxwell would say
- Leadership has followers
- Leadership is adventurous and rebellious
- Leadership is bottom up
Management has the following characteristics:
- Management is about maintaining the status quo
- Management is about enforcing the system
- Management is about making the existing more efficient
- Management is about making widgets, as Seth Godin says
- Management hires employees
- Management is anti-defiant
- Management is top down
An entry level employee may be a leader. A manager is never entry-level. Leaders don’t care much for organization structure. Managers do. Leadership inspires people how to think. Managers tell people what to do.
Leaders create movements. Managers don’t. Leaders use technology to create. Managers use technology to enforce. Leadership doesn’t end. Management ends at 5:00pm.